Monday, March 29, 2010

Life with Nicky

Two years ago, our cat Nicky (13 years old) was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure and diabetes. The vet told me that I needed to make a decision (you know the one I mean.) I asked him what it would take for me to care for Nicky at home - he said IV treatments twice a day and insulin shots twice a day and a pill for his kidneys once a day and that Nicky may live another three months. I tried the at home treatments - the insulin shots were not so bad but the IV needles were big and he fought me every time I did it. After a week I went back to the vet got his numbers checked - they were a little better. I asked what was in the IV and he told me electrolytes. So I went home and instead of the IV treatments I added X2O to his water. After a week, we went back to the vet and his numbers had drastically improved. So I figured I would continue this much more humane method for however long we had left with Nicky. Well three months came and went, Nicky was doing well, drinking and eating normally- still drinking X2O and taking insulin - he even started to fight me on those shots because he felt well enough that he was able run away from me and hide. Six months came and went and we were happy that he was pretty much stabilized - his kidneys were gradually failing which we knew would happen. Nine months came and went. A year came and went. Shortly beyond the 1 year mark his kidneys finally failed completely. I credit X2O with the helping his quality of life remain largely in tact for that last year and also for the extra time that we got to share with him.
Margaret from NJ

No comments:

Post a Comment